2022 Pathways Conference Pitch Session Network
MCCA will host the Sixth Annual Pitch Session Network (“PSN”) at the 2022 Creating Pathways to Diversity® Conference (“Pathways Conference”) on October 17-19, 2022. PSN allows in-house counsel to connect with diverse law firm partners at majority law firms, diversify their preferred provider portfolios and hold law firms accountable for their diversity efforts. PSN provides a platform for diverse law firm partners and legal service providers to meet privately, make meaningful connections, and build lasting business relationships with corporate legal departments interested in legal services.
The 2022 PSN application is now closed.
In collaboration with:
PSN Corporate Participants
Eligibility Criteria for PSN Participants:
ALL PSN participants MUST be a confirmed registrant of the 2022 Pathways Conference prior to the application being considered. There is no additional cost to participate.
- Corporate Legal Departments:
- In-house counsel MUST have the authority to hire outside counsel directly; but
- In-house counsel do not have to be members (however, members receive preference in the matching/selection process).
- Law Firms:
- Law firm participant MUST be MCCA members (or pre-approved affinity organizations) and CANNOT participate solely as a conference sponsor (non-MCCA member attorneys MUST provide a verification of good standing from the affiliate bar association prior to application being considered);
- Law firm participant MUST complete the PSN application (which is found in the conference registration);
- Law firm participant MUST be a DIVERSE PARTNER (MCCA’s definition of diversity includes gender, race/ethnicity, LGBTQ+, veterans/service members and attorneys with disabilities);
- Law firm participant MUST provide their attorney profile and/or resume to complete their PSN application; and
- Law firm participant MUST provide a profile of their firm to complete their PSN application.
- Legal Service Providers (non-law firms):
- Legal service providers MUST be 2022 Pathways Conference sponsors to participate in the Pitch Session Network; and
- Legal service providers MUST provide their profile to complete their PSN application.
WHEN & WHERE WILL THE PITCH SESSION NETWORK TAKE PLACE?
PSN will be held in-person at the 2022 Pathways Conference (October 17-19). PSN meetings will take place throughout all three days of the conference. Selected participants will receive a customized schedule, including meeting room assignments. MCCA will make best efforts to schedule PSN meetings so that they do not coincide with the other professional development programs. However, due to the program’s popularity and limitations in time, there is no guarantee that PSN meetings will not coincide with the other professional development programs.
How do I apply for the Pitch Session Network?
Interested participants MUST complete the PSN application, which is available as part of the 2022 Pathways Conference registration. The 2022 PSN application is now closed.
Who may participate in the Pitch Session Network?
Interested participants must complete the PSN application, which is available as part of the 2022 Pathways Conference registration.
- In-house counsel MUST:
- Have the authority to hire outside counsel; and
- Be a confirmed registrant of the 2022 Pathways Conference.
- All law firm participants MUST:
- Be employees of law firms that are MCCA members (or pre-approved affinity organizations);
- Be a diverse partner (MCCA’s definition of diversity includes gender, race/ethnicity, LGBTQ+, veterans/service member and attorneys with disabilities); and
- Be a confirmed registrant of the 2022 Pathways Conference.
- Legal service providers (non-law firms) MUST be a sponsor of the 2022 Pathways Conference to participate in PSN.
Please refer to the section “Eligibility Criteria for PSN Participants” above for specific information.
HOW ARE MATCHES AND SELECTIONS MADE?
- Law firm applications that match the requirements of the participating corporate legal department(s) will be forwarded to each in-house counsel for their review.
- In-house counsel will then select which law firm partner they are interested in meeting.
- Law firm partners and in-house counsel will be provided a list of participating legal service providers and a description of their services. They will decide which legal service providers (that are not law firms) they want to meet with based on the services they are seeking.
When will we know if we were selected for PSN meetings?
PSN participants will receive notifications of PSN meetings once in-house counsel make and relay their selections to MCCA, which may not be made until close to the date of the scheduled meeting. If selected, PSN participants should receive an update a week before the conference, but it is possible for PSN participants to receive notification the day before the conference.
If I was selected for a Pitch Session Network meeting, but I am no longer able to attend the conference, can I substitute or transfer my appointment with someone else from my firm?
No. There will be no transfer or substitutions allowed for any PSN meeting.
May you bring other attorneys from the same MCCA Member Law Firm to participate in the Pitch Session meetings?
Law Firm partners may bring other attorneys from their MCCA Member Law Firm to PSN, ONLY IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN MET:
- Each proposed accompanying attorney is a confirmed registrant of the conference;
- Each proposed accompanying attorney has completed the PSN Application form;
- Each proposed accompanying attorney has the qualifications to meet the needs requested by the in-house counsel; and
- The in-house counsel consent to meeting with the proposed accompanying attorney.
Am I guaranteed a slot to pitch?
PSN meetings are NOT guaranteed.
Applications are carefully reviewed and forwarded to in-house counsel if the law firm application matches what the in-house counsel is seeking from outside counsel. Please be aware that there could be many reasons why an application was not selected for a pitch session.
Due to confidentiality reasons and the volume of applications received, MCCA does not provide any information on why an application was not selected for a PSN meeting.
MCCA does not guarantee that the diverse law firm partner or legal service provider that submits a submission for the PSN will be selected to participate, nor does MCCA guarantee that selection and participation in the PSN will result in actual legal work.
What is the format for a Pitch Session Network meeting?
Each PSN meeting will be 30 minutes in duration. There will be a 5-minute warning before the end of each meeting. If you arrive late to your scheduled meeting time, the meeting time will NOT be extended.
The session schedule will be strictly adhered to, in order to ensure all PSN participants meet as scheduled.
MCCA reserves the right to:
- Determine the availability of diverse law firm attorneys and in-house counsel applicants; and
- Limit the number of diverse law firm attorneys to the in-house counsel participant.
Is there a cost to participate?
- There is no cost for in-house counsel to participate in the PSN.
- Law firm attorneys that are interested in participating in the PSN must be employees of MCCA member law firms (or pre-approved affiliate affinity organizations) and must be registered for the 2022 Pathways Conference.
- Legal service providers (non-law firms) must be 2022 Pathways Conference sponsors in order to participate in the PSN.
Previous Pitch Session Network
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP
Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck, LLP
Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
O’Prey Wen LLP
Sandberg Phoenix & von Gontard PC
Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr LLP
Sheppard, Mullin, Ritcher & Hampton LLP
Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
Willenken Wilson Loh & Delgado LLP