Position: Senior Counsel, Global Real Estate and Construction
Company: NIKE, Inc.
Location: Portland, OR
Description: As Senior Counsel, Global Real Estate and Construction (Recon), you will lead a team of real estate lawyers, paralegals and other professionals to support Nike Inc.’s global Direct to Consumer, as it pertains to Recon matters, and corporate real estate (WD+C) strategies. You and your team will be part of the Integrated Market Team within Nike Legal.
You will be responsible for, among others:
- Setting the Recon Team’s global strategy, focusing on supporting: i) the development of Nike Inc.’s global Beacon doors; ii) the optimization and evolution of Nike Inc.’s global store portfolio; iii) the evolution of Nike Inc.’s WD+C fleet.
- Counseling Nike Inc.’s retail and corporate real estate Senior Management in the negotiation, structure and strategic implementation of key real estate agreements including retail, office and warehouse leasing, purchase and sale agreements, license agreements, construction contracts, and related matters.
- Global end-to-end processing, management and documentation, ensuring that global standards and processes, optimal technology use and efficiencies are implemented consistently.
- Managing landlord/tenant disputes.
- Managing the Recon legal budget.
- JD degree. Member, in good standing, of at least one US State Bar and willingness to commit to membership in the Oregon State Bar.
- 10+ years attorney experience in a major law firm or in-house with focus on the following specialty areas: retail leasing (specifically specialty boutique oriented tenant leases), pad & ground leases, major office leases, warehouse/distribution center leases, land acquisition/disposition, general contractor/architectural agreements, SNDAs, estoppels and licenses, etc.
- Expertise in the following areas: shopping center development & financing, land use & permitting, zoning, environmental, title & survey, bankruptcy and foreclosure, and landlord/tenant dispute resolution, litigation.
- Proficiencies with negotiating, drafting and closing complex lease and acquisition deals globally.
- English as working language. Additional languages are preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and people management experience, including the ability to drive change and mentor others.
- Strong tolerance for ambiguity and risk.
- Ability to recognize and elevate complex and/or controversial issues to senior management in a timely and effective manner, and business acumen.
- Ability to develop high profile, influential and collaborative relationships across teams, functions and lawyers globally.
- Ability to innovate, generate consensus, and work cooperatively across cultures and language barriers.
- Ability to manage confrontation in a sensitive manner and develop strong working relationships across multiple function areas internally and externally.
- Creative and decisive, process focused problem-solver. Gets results on tight deadlines.