Position: Vice President and Senior Counsel, Payments and Digital Banking
Location: Westwood, MA
Description: Citizens is looking for a highly motivated and results-oriented attorney with strong credentials to join its Legal team, supporting Citizens’ Enterprise Experience Organization in the areas of Payments and Digital Banking. As Counsel, you will help to shape key developments in the payments space by supporting cross-functional partners on payments-related initiatives, advising on the development of the Bank’s cryptocurrency strategy and supporting the digital-first expansion of payment modalities. You will be a trusted advisor to Citizens’ digital banking teams on the complex legal and regulatory issues involved in the Bank’s national digital expansion initiatives, including the development of a modern digital checking and saving product and associated digital-first functionalities.
- Join Citizens’ EXO legal team, providing primary legal support for Citizens’ Payments, Digital and National expansion teams
- Actively collaborate with clients on financial product/feature offerings from inception to post-launch
- Research, analyze and provide sound legal advice on legal and compliance matters related to existing and evolving financial products and services
- Serve as trusted advisor to clients, including product development/management, strategic planning, internal audit and regulatory exam support, contract interpretation/negotiation and dispute resolution
- Stay up-to-date on laws and regulatory issues dealing with payments, digital assets and consumer financial services
- JD or equivalent, excellent academic credentials and admission to at least one U.S. bar required
- 7+ years of relevant experience at a top law firm or in-house legal team
- Deep understanding in the areas of payment processing, network rules, ACH, real time payments and associated financial services technology-related issues and solutions
- Knowledgeable about product, privacy, and regulatory frameworks relevant to payments and financial services systems, including EFTA, FCRA, TILA, USS Article 4A, NACHA Operating Rules, GLBA and UDAAP
- Ability to balance multiple matters simultaneously and respond quickly to shifting priorities under tight deadlines
- Adaptability and openness to taking on tasks in new or unfamiliar areas of the law and advising on challenging regulatory issues.
- Exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly collaborative team player with a positive attitude and good sense of humor