Position: Senior Corporate Counsel, Compliance & Ethics
Location: Redmond, WA
Description: The CELA Compliance & Ethics (C&E) organization plays a critical role in supporting Microsoft’s mission by fostering a culture of compliance, ethics, and trust. The Proactive Risk Engagement (PRE) team within C&E brings together legal professionals, compliance experts, and data analysts to put compliance on a proactive footing. We work across the company to understand the root cause, scope, and impact of critical risks globally; we partner with engineering, business, and sales teams to design and implement resilient controls and data-driven monitoring systems to address those risks; we generate actionable risk insights via analytics expertise to support reactive investigations; and we advise and consult on the design and execution of controls, sales channels, incentive programs, and complex transactions. We take a cross-disciplinary, collaborative approach to solutions across our work, and we are looking for a like-minded legal professional to help us accelerate our complex deal counseling and compliance design practice areas and expand our growing proactive risk assessment practice.
This position is located in Redmond Corporate Headquarters
Responsibilities for this Role Include:
- Lead a complex deal compliance advisory practice across a portfolio of business segments, controls, and corporate functions, focusing on corruption and compliance risk mitigation.
- Deliver timely, actionable legal guidance to senior business leaders, deal teams, and control functions on FCPA and other corruption-related issues.
- Partner with corporate and field teams to improve the integration of our complex deal compliance advisory practice with business processes and cycles.
- Identify opportunities to incorporate data and analytics into complex deal and compliance by design practice areas, and to establish feedback loops on risk insights with the analytics team.
- Brief executives and senior leadership on deal advisory outcomes, proactive consulting engagements, compliance programs, and risk assessments.
- Coordinate and lead proactive consulting engagements with business and compliance stakeholders to advance the design of control, program, and process enhancements and monitoring capabilities.
- Direct and manage outside counsel to support complex deal compliance advisory practice, proactive consulting engagements, and risk assessments.
- Contribute to the advancement of a culture of diversity and inclusion at Microsoft.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree OR Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship.
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction.
- 7+ years experience as a practicing attorney OR equivalent practice of law.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 5+ years experience as an attorney in compliance.
- In-house counsel experience.
- Demonstrated experience dealing with compliance involving multi-national companies or other large complex organizations, preferably involving complex deal reviews, control design, and risk assessments.
- Strong knowledge of United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other corruption law-related risks and preventative mitigation.
- The ability to manage a portfolio of projects and activities across multiple business areas, functions, and geographies to deliver impactful results.
- Ability to establish, build, and maintain productive, collaborative relationships within an organization and across federated compliance teams.
- Desire to incorporate data and analytics into compliance practice and an open, curious, and growth-oriented mindset.
- Strong communication and writing skills and demonstrated experience presenting to executive or senior level audiences.
- Willingness to travel as required and allowed by conditions.