Position: Managing Director
Location: New York, NY; Washington DC
Description: Citi is seeking a highly motivated U.S. bank regulatory attorney with 15+ years of experience to join as a Managing Director in Citi’s Bank Regulatory Legal Group. Partnering and coordinating with other internal stakeholders, this role will provide U.S. bank and Bank Holding Company (BHC) regulatory legal advice to senior Business and Global Function management on new products, rulemakings, strategic business and regulatory initiatives, and supervisory matters. Experience at a U.S. bank regulatory agency is a strong preference, as well as with respect to risk, and capital and liquidity matters.
A key responsibility of this role involves partnering with other members of the Bank Regulatory Legal Group, the Legal Department, Office of the Chief Administrative Officer, Global Regulatory Affairs, and Risk, Finance, Compliance, Global Government Affairs (GGA), along with business and regional leaders, when providing legal subject matter coverage and legal advice for U.S. bank and BHC regulatory matters.
The role will also partner and coordinate with the Global Regulatory Affairs Group and other internal partners in providing Bank Regulatory Legal Group coverage for U.S. bank/BHC regulatory rulemakings, and certain supervisory interactions.
And along with others in the Bank Regulatory Legal group, the role will provide U.S. bank/BHC regulatory legal advice to businesses in the Citi Institutional Clients Group and Personal Banking and Wealth Management Group, including those that are domestic and foreign, on new products and business initiatives. Working with others in the Group, the role will also review capital investments and acquisitions, and advise on the impact of U.S. bank/bank holding company (BHC) laws and regulations on Citi, prepare U.S. bank/BHC regulatory applications for the firm, and serve as a liaison with the Legal departments of the firm’s U.S. bank regulatory agencies.
The candidate is expected to be knowledgeable in various U.S. bank/BHC areas, including Federal Reserve Act Regulations K, O, W and Y, OCC regulations and interpretive letters on investment securities and bank authority, as well as new and proposed regulations issued by the U.S. bank regulatory agencies.
The candidate would also participate in analyzing U.S. bank/bank holding company regulatory considerations in the planning and development of the tactical and strategic direction of certain products, businesses and the firm overall, as well as with respect to regulatory remediation. Partnering with business/Global Function leaders and stakeholders in advising and making recommendations on business transactions, initiatives and objectives, and governance within permissible U.S. bank/BHC regulatory frameworks will be a key responsibility. Candidate is expected to assist in the analysis of complex U.S. bank/BHC regulatory issues.
This role requires a candidate who can be a leader within the Bank Regulatory Legal Group and the entire Citi Legal Department, and will report to the Head of the Bank Regulatory Legal group.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Provide U.S. bank regulatory legal advice to business and Control Function leaders and stakeholders and project leadership on U.S. bank/BHC regulatory and supervisory matters.
- Support Global Regulatory Affairs from a legal perspective in its work on regulatory advocacy and supervisory matters.
- Work effectively and in partnership with business and Control Function leaders and stakeholders in providing legal advice on U.S. bank/BHC regulatory and supervisory matters.
- 15+ years of legal experience with a large corporation, law firm or government agency.
- Ability to inspire trust, influence others, promote collaboration and motivate. Skilled at building and maintaining relationships
- High level of diplomacy
- Strong written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; strong presentation skills
- Ability to identify problems and take appropriate actions to resolve issues
- Global awareness/global business orientation
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of internal and external management
- Experience in understanding of day-to-day global bank business operations
- Strong knowledge of existing and new U.S. banking/BHC regulations, statutes, agency rulings and policy
- Excellent analytical and advocacy skills as well as the ability to speak and write clearly, and interact with business and legal colleagues in a creative, collaborative and productive manner.
- Experience at a U.S. bank regulatory agency is a strong preference.
- Juris Doctor (U.S.)
- 15+ years legal experience
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational and communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Self-starter, capacity and willingness to take on multiple responsibilities