Position: Managing Counsel-Consumer
Location: Westwood,MA; Johnston, RI
Description: Citizens Bank, N.A. is looking for growth and problem-solving oriented attorney to lead the legal team supporting the Consumer Bank’s branch network and deposit products and Citizens Business Banking products and services. Citizens Bank has grown to be a top ten U.S. consumer deposit franchise through offering innovative features and services such as Citizens Peace of Mind, Citizens Paid Early and Citizens Plus rewards program and this attorney will serve as Managing Counsel report to the Deputy GC, Head of Consumer and Payments Legal and support our dynamic and growing consumer bank. This attorney will be responsible for providing legal advice and guidance to senior management on the creation, management, marketing and servicing of consumer banking products including checking, savings, money market products and debit cards for our Consumer customers, and deposit, lending and other products and services for our Business Banking customers.
This position location may be based in various Citizens corporate office locations with preference for Westwood, MA and Johnston, RI due to their large Consumer footprints. Various hybrid and remote work arrangements are possible.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a close-in embedded legal resource, first point of contact and trusted advisor to senior management in Consumer Bank and Business Banking and cross-functional colleagues in peer groups such as Risk and Compliance
- Work closely with management, functional partners and legal colleagues on new initiatives and escalated customer issues, complaints and remediations
- Monitor changes to legal and regulatory landscape and research, analyze and provide sound legal advice on legal and compliance matters related to existing and evolving financial products and services.
- Serve as trusted advisor to business and functional partners on initiatives, internal audit and regulatory exam support, strategic planning and acquisitions, contract interpretation/negotiation and dispute resolution.
- Manage external counsel when approved to support a particular project (as much of the work is done in-house as possible)
- Leading, motivating, supervising, and developing team members.
- 10+ years’ experience at big law firm and/or in‐house at large financial services institution advising senior management
- Track record of developing outstanding legal talent
- Familiarity with the consumer banking regulatory framework such as Reg E, Reg CC and UDAAP.
- A proven ability to comfortably operate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- The confidence to critically examine the status quo as appropriate, bring fresh and innovative thinking and be outspoken, when necessary, coupled with strong communication skills
- Team player – collaborates and coordinates across Legal and firm
Ideal Candidates would possess:
- Experience with bank branch, deposit and/or debit card matters
- Knowledgeable with Reg CC, DD, D, ACH, Regulation E and NACHA rules.
- The perseverance and patience necessary to work through ambiguity and see a matter through to completion
- The ability to see past the immediate question and understand the broader implications and wider strategy
- The ability to think tactically to get to the best result for all parties
- JD or equivalent, strong academic credentials and admission to at least one U.S. bar required