Company: Director Counsel, Employee Relations
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Description: A role with Employee Labor Relations as Director Counsel means the opportunity to provide legal counsel on a wide range of internal employee relations matters. Your internal clients will be Human Resources, and you’ll be responsible for a range of responsibilities that include providing fast-paced employment law based advice and counsel, consulting on investigations, and project/policy work at times. In particular:
- Provide expert legal counsel in employee relations matters for assigned areas of responsibility. This specific position focuses on supporting our stores organization with responsibilities across multiple states and some HQ-based responsibilities as well.
- Work with the Employee Labor Relations teams to identify legal and HR-related issues and trends.
- Ensure strategies and actions in ELR matters support the company’s brand, mission and philosophy.
- Work on occasion with outside counsel. Follow standards for legal work in assigned areas and ensure that work is performed in a cost-effective manner.
- Remain current on legal and business developments and share appropriately with team and business partners.
- Assist in strategically representing Target’s interests to government agencies and other outside entities.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. or equivalent from accredited law school and admitted to a state bar
- 5+ years at a law firm or in-house capacity serving clients in Employee Relations matters including substantial experience providing employment law consultation and legal advice in a corporate or law firm setting
- Ability to facilitate meetings, resolve conflict, build consensus, establish rapport and collaborate effectively, internally and externally, across all levels of an organization
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to leverage data to influence decisions and distill complex or ambiguous issues into concise and actionable advice
- Ability to develop effective and collaborative relationships with key business leaders in order to independently drive accountability, instill confidence, and influence outcomes across functions
- Highly organized, with the ability to adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing or competing priorities
- Ability to apply discretion and sensitivity while working with confidential information
- Ability to develop effective written and verbal communications and presentations for all levels of leadership; comfort presenting information to large groups across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated strategic skills with the ability to assess and challenge the current state, develop short and long term strategies, apply creative problem solving, and project manage initiatives from inception through implementation
- Comfortable making specific, fact-based recommendations in ambiguous situations