Position: Counsel – Wealth Management
Location: Westwood, MA; Johnston, RI; Boston, MA
Description: Citizens currently has a Counsel opening in their legal department supporting the Wealth Management Division of the Consumer Bank. The Counsel will assist the Senior Counsel, Wealth Management in providing comprehensive legal guidance to the business unit and will also be a member of the legal team supporting the full suite of deposit businesses.
- Advise retail broker-dealer, investment adviser, and trust company management and staff on a wide range of legal and compliance issues concerning all aspects of a full-service wealth management business.
- Advise executive management as well as control function colleagues on securities and banking regulations that apply to introducing brokers, registered investment advisors, and trust departments.
- Assist Compliance and Risk colleagues in responding to regulatory requests and examinations and with the submission of regulatory filings.
- Monitor securities industry regulatory developments, rulemaking and legislation that may affect business lines.
- Develop legal assessments, interpretations, recommendations, and opinions on laws, policies, and regulatory issues.
- Act as a liaison with outside law firms engaged to represent the company.
- Provide advice concerning business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
- Work to resolve issue raised by customers and regulators.
- As needed, assist in the due diligence of potential Wealth Management acquisition targets.
- Review and draft internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft consumer contracts and agreements.
- Lead or participate in other legal projects and matters as assigned.
- 3+ years of consumer financial services legal experience.
- Regulatory work experience and/or experience working with securities regulations pertaining to retail customers preferred. Experience working with investment advisers and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 strongly preferred.
- Strong drafting and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple high-level projects, strong attention to detail and ability to thrive in fast paced, heavy work environment.
- Must be able to manage and progress projects independently with minimal supervision. Comfort working across all staffing levels, including senior management.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
Education, Certifications and/or Other Professional Credentials:
- JD from an accredited high caliber law school.
- Admission or eligibility for admission to the Bar in one or more states in which Citizens Bank conducts business.