Company: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
Position: Associate General Counsel
Location: Chicago, IL
Description: This position is responsible for providing legal counsel and strategic direction to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois as well plans across Health Care Service Corporation’s geographies when needed. As an Associate General Counsel, you will collaborate with legal and business teams across the organization to deliver quality, solution-oriented legal advice in a dynamic business and legal environment. You will be responsible for various legal projects and issues, which may include support for our sales and marketing teams (with a primary focus on self-funded and insured group complex customer contracting and negotiating), advising on claim and appeal issues, particularly under ERISA requirements, pre-litigation dispute resolution, marketing materials review, and various other legal and regulatory research and analysis projects or presentations.
The position will be located in Chicago, Illinois, reporting to the Illinois General Counsel.
Contact: Please apply: https://bit.ly/3ZEwgvR
- At least 8 years of experience as a practicing attorney at law firm or law firm combined with in-house setting;
- Bar membership in good standing in the state in which you will be located;
- Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school;
- Specific, ERISA, health benefit plan and regulatory experience, especially with respect to employer groups, labor funds or other administrative service or network administration arrangements;
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication, negotiating, drafting and problem-solving skills;
- Experience in effectively managing client relations/communications at various levels within an organization;
- Experience negotiating, drafting, and reviewing complex customer and service vendor contracts;
- Commitment to delivering quality and timely legal services, plus a committed solutions-oriented approach;
- Hands-on, hard-working, “roll up your sleeves” style, with both business partners and Legal teammates;
- Business and strategic acumen and ongoing commitment to business partnering;
- Demonstrated ability to function as a self-starter and value-add contributor in a fast-paced practice;
- Demonstrated commitment to operating in a strong team environment;
- Ability to think strategically and to drive results while minimizing cost and burden on the company;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, along with ability to manage shifting priorities and demands.
Preferred Job Requirements:
- Experience in health care and/or insurance regulatory matters, including ERISA issues and related regulations; and,
- Experience with claims and appeals for self-funded health plans.