Company: New York Life
Position: Associate General Counsel, Technology, Intellectual Property and Strategic Sourcing
Location: New York, NY
Description: Exciting opportunity for a dynamic and experienced Technology Attorney to join the expanding Technology, Intellectual Property and Strategic Sourcing (TIPSS) law group at New York Life. The TIPSS law group is dedicated to handling complex technology matters, commercial contracts, and intellectual property matters. The attorney will be sophisticated and highly experienced in drafting, negotiating, and interpreting complex technology agreements in the areas of software licensing and maintenance, SaaS/Cloud, IT consulting, e-commerce, web site hosting and development, and telecommunications agreements for a company operating within a regulated industry. Duties also include providing high quality, specialized and practical advice in business-to-business arrangements and advising on issues like IT outsourcing arrangements, software and hardware supply and implementation agreements. The Attorney will also have significant experience with cyber security and third party risk management, as well as strong working knowledge of privacy to ensure that customer information gathered by a third party is collected, stored and used in compliance with New York Life’s privacy and data security policies and with applicable laws and regs. Experience counseling and advising on FinTech and InsureTech matters and transactions is a plus.
The Associate General Counsel, Technology Attorney will:
- Lead, structure, draft and negotiate strategic technology agreements and other commercial agreements (including marketing, data and professional services) with third party providers, for New York Life and its affiliates.
- Engage as lead counsel and participate on projects related to existing and emerging technologies and platforms including big data, mobile apps, web and devices, social media, and cloud computing.
- Ensure contracts comply with New York Life’s policies and with regulatory requirements.
- Provide day-to-day advice to internal clients on a wide range of areas related to the IP, Technology and commercial contracts function including cyber and data security, risk management, and intellectual property.
- Advise internal clients on business issues, risk management and complying with Company procedures.
- Coordinate with other subject matter experts in the law department and in other areas of New York Life as necessary.
- Successfully work across the organizational structure of New York Life.
Contact: For more information please contact Tammy Garnes Mata (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit us at https://nyl.co/2HjMpy5
- 10+ years of technology, IP, and strategic sourcing transactional experience
- JD required
- Admission to the New York State Bar required.
- Experience working in regulated financial institutions preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to engage on and complete complex transactions (particularly technology transactions) quickly and effectively, balancing and managing business expectations with legal and regulatory compliance and risk objectives.
- Extensive experience negotiating strategic contracts as part of a larger negotiating team including procurement, IT, legal and business leads, as well as other SMEs as required.
- Highly skilled and proven negotiator; detail-oriented.
- Thorough understanding of existing and emerging technologies and platforms including: big data, mobile apps, web and devices, social media, and cloud computing.
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams.
- Superior written and oral communications skills, and excellent analytical, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- In-depth and sophisticated working knowledge of privacy and information security (including data and cyber security).
- Proven record of prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.